90 Day Fitness Update

April 10, 2014

7:30am trainer session glow :)
Last weekend was the official 90 day mark for my New Year's Resolution to get fit, healthy, and hopefully thinner in the process. And what a process it's been!

If you've been following along, my 30 Day Fitness Update resulted in tons energy and 5 pounds lost, and my 60 Day Fitness Update saw both a renewed love of fresh homemade food, and 5 more pounds down. Suffice it to say, the last 30 days have been much harder. 

Here's the deal. I've reached that point where I've shed the quick and easy 10 pounds (though there's nothing easy about working your ass off at 43!), and now I'm into the nitty gritty of it. I know that old tale that fat weighs less than muscle and that when you start to loose weight you can only be so obsessed with the scale because it doesn't reflect all the other positive changes happening to your body. This I now know to be true. 

The reality is that I have never been this strong in my life. Ever. And that is an amazing and wonderful thing. I have stamina and energy like never before and can do things that I never knew to be possible. I am absolutely building muscle and my pal and fitness partner Haley and I sometimes compare our arms and how we can flex muscles in our upper arms (both the front and the back!) for the first time ever. It's truly remarkable what the body can do. 

But I'm not going to lie, the fact that I've only lost 3 pounds over the last 30 days really pisses me off. It's not an accurate account of all the achievements I've made, but still, those numbers mock me as they look up at me from my feet. Damn you scale! 

my body now - strong and smaller!
So let's focus on some other numbers that are amazing. 

Starting body measurements:
Bust - 39"   Waist - 34"   Belly - 40"   Hip - 41"   Upper Arm - 12.5"   Upper Thigh - 24"
Current body measurements:
Bust - 36"   Waist - 31.5"   Belly - 38"   Hip - 39"   Upper Arm - 11.5"   Upper Thigh - 23"

I have lost real inches around my entire body! That is amazing. I know I feel stronger, more muscular, and have lost weight on the scale, but to actually measure your body shrinking feels fantastic. So while the scale might judge me, I know that the age old story about muscle weighing more than fat is true. I also can tell that with more muscle my metabolism has really changed and I no longer crave bad foods to help make myself feel better. 

All of this is to say that I recognize that in the big picture, I am still just beginning. And if I continue to lose 3 pounds a month, I will be happy and I will not beat myself up about it moving faster because all the good I am doing to myself seriously outweighs quick weight loss. So while I'm anxious and antsy to get to my goals quickly, I know that's not really how it's done. And I'm hardly stagnant in my progress, and so I need to acknowledge that and give myself some credit for all the good that's going on. 

Proof in addition to the actual numbers and the way I feel is looking at photos of the past. I'm sure everyone has a breaking point, or a "rock bottom" or some similar moment, but for me it was my pal Jennifer's wedding this past fall. I felt huge and when I saw the photos of the wedding, my feelings were confirmed. It was the biggest I've ever been and I clocked in at almost 160 pounds. I know that each person's journey is their own, and that 160 is the goal weight for those heavier, so I don't want to judge anyone else or belittle that number. But for me, this was my ceiling. 

my body before - soft and weak
Next month I hope to report similar strides and if anyone's interested, I could pass on some of the fitness gems I've learned from my training sessions. I'm developing quite an extensive catalogue of workouts that are easy to do without equipment. If you're into that, let me know!

Thanks as always for the messages and comments of support along the way. I am so happy that I am helping inspire some of you to get moving too, and I want to send mad love to my girl Haley who is kicking ass too! She texted me today to tell me that she ordered her first two piece bathing suit for the first time since high school and that this is the best she's ever done on a resolution. Go Haley! 

27 comments:

  1. Girllll, you are kicking ass! And gorgeous either way! What an inspiring post :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lady! I feel the best I've ever felt and it's worth every drop of sweat!

      Delete
  2. Nice! It's so annoying when the scale stays the same, but really, it doesn't matter as long as you're feeling strong and awesome! (I started working out last year and haven't lost a pound, but my body has changed a lot.) sad to have missed you at Craftcation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that's true, but still I want the scale to move! I know it is… just sloooooowly! sorry to have missed you at craftcation too!

      Delete
  3. Way to go, you are looking great and are such an inspiration! I recently started training at a kettlebell studio, and can totally relate to how good it feels to be getting strong!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. yes! I had no idea how great it would feel to get strong! it's amazing and best of luck to you with your journey!

      Delete
  4. You go girl! So happy to be making this journey with you! It is so easy to let the scale get you down, but you are looking fabulous. Here's to 90 more days of progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. likewise lady! it wouldn't be the same without you and you are kicking major ass! cheers to us and more muscles ahead!

      Delete
  5. Ignore the scale! Those inches lost are your true results. You look amazing! I love your confidence and it's obvious you feel great about yourself. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Amy! I am happy that I'm seeing results and it is the ultimate confidence booster!

      Delete
  6. Wow those measurements really show how far you have come! Well done! I am seriously impressed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!!! I'm pretty impressed with myself too :)

      Delete
  7. That's fantastic. Congratulations on those results. You might just motivate me to exercise! I've never exercised and it's intimidating but seeing real results is inspiring. As sewers we have a better perspective than most about what a large impact even small changes to our measurements can make on how clothes fit. Your 'inches lost' is is no small change - impressive! Looks like you'll be sewing a whole new wardrobe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. indeed! my clothes are huge on me now and I am just now starting to sew up some new things! so exciting! trust me, once you get to it, you'll feel so good that you won't want to stop!

      Delete
  8. Great job, Christine!! Although I want to point out that your "before" picture is already super beautiful, so try not to be too hard on yourself <3

    ReplyDelete
  9. You look SO good! I know I've told you before, but I love following along and reading about your workout and lifestyle changes. Keep them coming!

    And when is Haley going to start blogging?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks lady! and Haley, I know! one day when she does start blogging, it will be the best blog on the block!!!

      Delete
  10. You look amazing Christine! Like Erin, I love reading about your workout and lifestyle changes. Yes! I'd like to learn more about your workouts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kathy! I will share some of my workout tips next month!

      Delete
  11. I'm really interested in workouts without equipment, since it means I can do it at home! You do look amazing Christine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Toni! I agree, the workouts without equipment are the most interesting and I promise to share some next month!

      Delete
  12. Awesome Christine! Thank you for being so open (measurements and all!) and letting us be inspired by your process. Loved meeting you at the shop the other day - I would never have guessed you to be 43! You look WAY younger.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. so great to meet you too Helen! and aw shucks, thanks for the age compliment! most people don't guess it right, but I think my eye wrinkles are a dead giveaway :)

      Delete
  13. You are looking and doing great! Don't stress over the scale. You will gain muscle as you lose the fat so it balances out. My # of choice to obsess about it body fat percentage. My Mr.is a trainer so he reiterates this to me all the time as I try to balance out weight vs fat %. The scale is deceiving and not your friend. Keep up the good work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Betsy! yes, that is a good measurement for sure! I know for a fact that I have less fat on me now than I did at the start of the year. certain areas of my body are not only toner, but has less cellulite and is more muscular. I know the scale isn't my pal, but I'm still going to see how far I can go! but eventually I promise not to obsess over it!

      Delete
  14. Congratulations! I always get so bored working out but I know that I feel better when I do.

    ReplyDelete